Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thank You My Lou

Over the past two years I have applied to hundreds of jobs. Until last week I had only ever received one interview. Then last week I half heatedly applied to a Marketing Internship position. Within hours of submitting my application I was informed that I had moved on to the next step of filling out the written interview, then within a couple of days I had my first interview at the end of the week. On Monday I was asked to come in for a second interview. Yesterday, Wednesday, I went in and was offered the position. I start next week.

Lately I have been feeling defeated. I was talking about going back to waiting tables and starting a dog walking service. Lou put his foot down and said I could not go back to the restaurant industry. Since he rarely puts his foot down, I kind of listened. As for dog walking he just let me ramble on about it. No matter what he always encouraged me to continue looking for a job I really wanted. He promised me it was out there and that someone would be brilliant enough to take a chance on me. He never once stopped believing in me. He never once flinched when I doubted myself, he just kept telling me to move on, it was out there.

So, here I am two years later about to embark on one crazy journey with an amazing company.

Now Lou and I are renting out our home in Rochester, purchasing another place in Seattle and both starting new jobs with massive room for growth. This summer is going to be what we are sure will amount to a turning point in our lives. We have always tried to stay positive, spend our money wisely, work hard, learn more than the person next to us and keep an open mind to opportunities. In the past five years we will have gone from graduating with our undergraduate degree, waiting tables and stocking grocery shelves, to owning two houses, with three units, working as a marketing coordinator for a company that is about to go national and a professional engineer responsible for creating an engineering department for a Conservation District.

Thank you to my Lou who keeps me moving forward when I am tired and finding excuses to quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment